Table of Content
FSSAI License: What Are The Conditions Need To Be Fulfilled By Food Business Operators?
FSSAI License or Registration is a mandatory requirement for all Food Business Operators in India. With the responsibility towards the safety of consumers, FSSAI ensures that the License or Registration i.e. Form-C, is granted only to the Food Business Operators (FBOs) that are committed towards food safety. For the purpose of monitoring FBOs, FSSAI has specified various conditions of License that are required entirely throughout the course of the food business.
Following are the 9 key conditions listed in the regulations for licensing and registration of food businesses in India:
- The Food business establishments are required to display a true copy of the license granted in Form C at a prominent place in the premises. The restaurants are also need to always display a Food Safety Display Board.
- Necessary access shall be given by the FBO(s) to the Licensing Authorities and/or their authorized personnel to the food business premises whenever required or asked for,
- It is important to inform the licensing authorities about any modifications in the food business activities or information for license. Then FBOs can apply for the necessary modification of FSSAI license.
- FBOs shall hire at least one technical person to supervise the food production process. The supervising personnel shall possess at least one qualification (Diploma or Graduate) related to the field of Food Science or in any other discipline as per the specific requirements of the business from a recognized institute or university. A restaurant shall also employ at least one technical person, or a Food safety supervisor trained by FSSAI.
- A Food business operator shall not manufacture or produce any product on the premises, which have not been indicated in the FSSAI License or Registration.
- It is important to maintain a separate record for daily raw material utilization, production, and sales. The restaurants are exempted from this condition.
- The Food businesses are also required to test their products of relevant chemical and microbial parameters as per the FSSAI regulations at least once in six months. These tests may be conducted from own or NABL accredited or FSSAI notified laboratory.
- The safety of raw material and finished food product throughout the supply chain from the place of procurement to the end consumer should be ensured by the food business operator. It should be taken care that the required temperature is maintained as much possible.
- A food business operator shall buy and sell food products only from, or to, FSSAI licensed or registered vendors and maintain record thereof.
These conditions are an important requirement for the authority to enforce and monitor food safety norms in India. With the new advances coming in the food regulatory system, continuity of food businesses demands continuous compliance with the regulations. The steps toward compliance require a dedicated workforce and management. To ensure 100% regulatory compliance, the Food Businesses have started seeking assistance from the Regulatory Experts.
For more information about FSSAI Licensing and Registration of Food Business regulations, contact www.cliniexperts.com.
1.Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulation, 2011 – https://fssai.gov.in/dam/jcr:b37feea8-d1d6-4a12-800a-e9290ea72e1d/Licensing_Regulations.pdf Accessed on 19th February 2019.