Table of Content
Four FAQ’s on Proprietary Foods- Part 2
Below are the more four frequently asked questions on Proprietary Foods which may help the food business operators to understand the concept before preparing any Proprietary Food for commercial use.
- Which additives can be used in proprietary foods?
Answer: The following Additives may be used in proprietary food:
- i) Food additives permitted in chapter 3 and 4 of Appendix A of Food Safety and Standards (Food Product Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011, for the food or food category (sub-category) as amended from time to time.
- ii) Food additives permitted in a specific food or food category (sub-category) that are made operational as per the Notice for operationalization of standards of Food Additives for use in various Food Categories dated 23rd December 2015 issued by FSSAI. It was later amended on September 5, 2016.
FBOs who have received approval for any additive other than those mentioned above, in the product approval process can continue to use them.
- Does licensing requirement change in any way?
Answer: License for such proprietary foods shall be granted for the specific food or food category (sub-category) as requested by the FBO in the application form. It should be in similar lines with the licensing regulation without any requirement of product approval and is compliant. FBOs can include the new proprietary food in the existing license. Any existing proprietary products already in the existing license will remain valid.
It is must to tale Central License for all the Proprietary Food products.
- What are the list of documents required for obtaining license for proprietary food?
Answer: Documents are required to be deposited with the Central Licensing Authority as per Annexure 2 of Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011.
- How will an intermediate product used by another industry be governed under this regulation?
Answer: Intermediate products (food/food additive premixes) can contain ingredients permitted in this regulation and can contain additives as per Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011, and/or Standards of food additives. It was operational through Notice dated 23rd December 2015 and enforced on 8th September 2016 as per notification issued by FSSAI. It is the responsibility of the FBO to ensure that the finished product prepared using such premixes/intermediate products contain only those additives which are permitted under the regulations.
- Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Ninth Amendment Regulations, 2016. F.No.11/12/Reg/Prop/FSSAI-2016, dated 10th October, 2016 (Enforcement: 13th October, 2016) (Compliance: 1st July, 2017)
- Direction for Operationalization of Standards for Proprietary Food. Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. F.No. 11/12/Reg/Prop/FSSAI-2016 (Part-I). August 22, 2016
- Gazette Notification. Amendment in Proprietary Food Regulations. Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. F. No. 11/12/Reg/Prop/FSSAI-2016. January 12, 2016. Published on January 13, 2016