Table of Content
FSSAI To Propose Regulations For Labelling Of Artificial Sweetener On The Beverages Sold Through Vending Machines
The apex food regulatory authority of India, Food Safety and Standards of India (FSSAI) recently came out with a draft to propose regulations regarding labelling of artificial sweetener on the beverages which are sold through vending machines. At present, organisations selling packaged food with added artificial sweeteners need to declare the same on every package and in their advertisements.
What are artificial sweeteners?
Artificial sweeteners are low or zero calorie sugar substitutes. Some examples are aspartame, saccharin, sucralose.
Artificial sweeteners are completely artificial.
Several evidence-based studies show they cause lot of harm to brain health and as well as metabolism. Researchers also found artificial sweeteners increase hyperactivity, insomnia and affect sleep quality in human studies.
Nutritional value of the artificial sweeteners is zero. FSSAI is coming out with this regulation due to growing concern of health issues because of artificial sweeteners.
Proposed Regulations of FSSAI regarding labelling of artificial sweetener
The draft provision for the labelling of artificial sweeteners on beverages served from vending machines has been proposed as an amendment in the Food Safety and Standards (Prohibition and Restrictions on Sales) Regulations, 2011.
The provision as following will be inserted in regulation 2.3, sub-regulation 2.3.14, as clause (19)
“If such product is sold through vending machine a prominent display or label of artificial sweetener should be placed on the cups or container in which the product is served and also on the vending machine.”
It should be according to the standards of the labelling requirements prescribed under the regulation 2.4.5 (24, 25, 26, 28 and 29) of Food safety and Standards (Packaging and labelling Regulations, 20111.
The regulation 2.4.5 (24, 25, 26, 28 and 29), specifies the declarations to be prominently mentioned on the label of packaged food containing permitted artificial sweeteners, as well as on the packages of table top sweeteners.
The general mandatory declarations that applies to the package of food containing artificial sweeteners are:
- A statement declaring the name of artificial sweetener used such as, “This contains <Name of the artificial sweetener>”.
- A statement mentioning that the product is “Not recommended for children.”
- A statement declaring the amount of sugar or ‘No sugar added in the product’, as applicable.
- The declaration “CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER AND FOR CALORIE CONSCIOUS” is required to be mentioned in a separate box.2
Consumer safety and trust being the priority, FSSAI is working on such provisions of restriction on a wide range of food products. FSSAI is soon to gazette notify these amendments after seeking objections and suggestions from the stakeholders.
For more information about FSSAI regulations for the use of artificial sweeteners in food and beverages, contact www.foodsafetymantra.com
- Draft Food Safety and Standards (Prohibition and Restriction on sales) Amendment Regulations related to sale of beverages containing artificial sweeteners through vending machines. Available at: https://fssai.gov.in/home/fss-legislation/notifications/draft-notification.html. Accessed on 10.01.2019.
- Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulations, 2011. Accessed on 11.01.2019.